Word has it that a Google Home Preview Program is inbound for the largely successful smart-speaker that’s invading homes across the US. This is excellent news for users who like to try new features before they go live to the public, like myself. Although there isn’t any word regarding specific features at this time, it’s still good to see Google involve the community when it comes to product testing. We are the folks buying and using these gadgets, after all. We deserve inclusion.
Google has yet to announce the Preview Program, but there’s a signup page already live. Those who choose to join the opt-in program will be privy to the latest and greatest features for the Google Home Device. More importantly, they can also provide feedback to help developers squash any bugs prior to a widespread release.
Lastly, emails go out to Preview Program members whenever new features become available. It’s also worth noting that new updates will download seamlessly in the background, meaning you won’t have to do anything to keep your device updated.
How To Join The Google Home Preview Program
- From your phone or tablet, open the Google Home app Chromecast cast icon.
- In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices to see your available Chromecast and Google Home devices.
- Scroll to find the device card for the device you’d like to enroll in the Preview Program.
- In the top right corner of the device card, tap the device card menu .
- Tap Settings > Preview Program. If you don’t see Preview Program, we aren’t accepting new members at this time. Please continue to check back as opportunities become available.
- Choose whether to receive email notifications by moving the slider to the right or left. Note: We recommend allowing email notifications so you’ll know when new updates are pushed to your device.
- If you opt-in to email notifications, you’ll be asked to sign into your Google account if you haven’t already.
- Review the contents of that page, and tap Join Program.
- Review the contents of the page, then tap OK, GOT IT.
I just tried to sign up, but I’m not seeing the option in my Home app yet. As Google notes, that means they aren’t accepting new applicants at this time. Considering the sign-up page is a new discovery, it’s safe to assume the floodgates will open soon.
We’ll keep you posted on any updates we hear about this one!
Source: Android Police